Costa Rica is intensely visited by travelers across the world. And it’s no wonder because of its pleasant weather. In addition, extremely friendly locals and stunning beaches add a cherry on the cake. But at the same time, Costa Rica is sometimes skipped. It is because of the requirement of a little higher budget. It is a sad truth that Costa Rica isn’t as budget-friendly as some of its neighboring places. However, there are some cheap travel destinations in Costa Rica that don’t feel too heavy on the pocket. Here we have created a list of some top cheap travel destinations in Costa Rica that are cheap yet fascinating.
1. Puerto Viejo, Beaches in Costa Rica
One of the popular Caribbean destinations, Puerto Viejo is well-known, especially among the young backpackers. Some of the key highlights of this cheap travel destination in Costa Rica are:
- With a bundle of great beaches, Puerto Viejo features spectacular surfing and a party atmosphere. The Puerto Viejo beaches in Costa Rica are one of the most scenic in the world.
- The place is so happening and lively that you will find something extraordinary happening every night.
- There are scenic beach hotels in Costa Rica that allow a moment of peace and oneness with nature.
- Most importantly, a jaguar center in Puerto Viejo performs rescue tasks for the local wildlife. Finally, they send them back to their natural habitats.
2. Cahuita, Beaches in Costa Rica
If you are looking for a place to relax, this small town of Cahuita is here for you. It is one of the top cheap travel destinations in Costa Rica.
- Cahuita hosts a bar that is a perfect place to chill after a long day of surfing and wildlife spotting.
- The place is known to contain the influence of Afro-Caribbean regions. You can easily see it in the food and culture here.
3. Santa Teresa, Beaches in Costa Rica
- Santa Teresa is a perfect hippie town located on the Nicoya Coast.
- It is a great place to visit while backpacking in Costa Rica with its friendly hostels.
- A range of food stalls, yoga centers, and shops for surfing line the entire beaches in Costa Rica.
- If you are not that party animal, Santa Teresa is your to-go destination in Costa Rica.
4. Poas Volcano
Poas Volcano is another active volcano hosting sulfur lakes. This is a must on your bucket list of cheap travel destinations in Costa Rica.
- There are several trails in the Poas Volcano region. The sulfur lakes are very still.
It’s better to visit the volcano early in the morning. The clouds during the day close upon a spectacular view.
- Monteverde’s cloud forest houses beautiful quetzal birds.
- Here, you can experience unpredictable and unusual patterns of the weather.
- Monteverde inscribes its name in the list of largest eco-tourism hubs for vacations in Costa Rica.
- A zip-line adventure tour and sky bridges are must take experiences in this region.
6. Manuel Antonio
Situated at the coast of the Pacific Ocean, Manuel Antonio’s beaches are heartwarming. Some attractive features of this cheap travel destination in Costa Rica are:
- Stretches of white sand and clear blue waters impart stunning beauty to this place. These beaches in Costa Rica are truly stunning.
- But that’s not all. There is a national park nearby. Here, you can spot three different kinds of monkeys while hiking along the trails.
Arenal is a volcano that sits tough at a height of 1670 meters. Since it’s an active volcano, therefore, there are eruptions happening from time to time. Also, there are several attractive things to do on vacations in Costa Rica.
- La Fortuna is a beautiful waterfall here.
- You can spend some peaceful evenings while sitting at the lake and gazing upon the sunset. Just enough to make your evening perfect!
The Corcovado National Park is the largest in the country. Therefore, you must not forget to visit this cheap travel destination in Costa Rica.
- It is spread over an enormous area of 424 square kilometers.
- Though it’s a little difficult to reach Corcovado. But if you choose to make the effort, it will be worth it because of the quaint and deserted beaches, rich wildlife, and marine life.
- Also, there are a number of things like hiking and camping for the adventure buffs.
9. Tortuguero,Vacations in Costa Rica
The name Tortuguero comes from the Land of Turtles.
- Tortuguero is nothing less than the great Amazon rainforest that shifted to Costa Rica.
- A network of flowing rivers and streams is naturally established across the jungle.
- The shoreline is home to a very large number of turtles. Here you can spend enchanting vacations in Costa Rica.
- However, the best time to visit Tortuguero is from April to May. But if you are looking for a non-busy tour around Costa Rica, it’s still good to go as there is always a range of wildlife to be seen here.
10. Playa Jaco, Vacations in Costa Rica
Jaco beaches in Costa Rica are popular for their stunning waves. Hence, it is a marvelous and cheap travel destination in Costa Rica.
- It emits carefree party vibes with its friendly atmosphere.
- In addition, there is a wide range of aquatic activities to be done here. Playa Jaco is a total package as it has something to offer to people of all age groups.
- Also, it is a must-visit place for those seeking a rush of adrenaline. Kayaking, deep-sea fishing, rafting, and horseback riding are some of the adventure-filled activities that you can do here.
11. San Jose, Costa Rica
The capital and the largest city of San Jose is located in the heart of Costa Rica. Some key features of this cheap travel destination in Costa Rica are:
- San Jose manifests dense culture and rich history.
- The city’s architecture and friendly locals are sure to make your fall in love with San Jose.
- It is home to plenty of parks, museums, and art galleries with a wide range of eateries to satisfy your hunger cravings.
- There are a number of buildings from the time of World War II.
- Central Park, Spanish Park, Democracy Plaza are some of the best attractions to visit in this capital city of San Jose, Costa Rica.
- Also, make sure to visit the Jade Museum that is home to the largest collection of American jade in the whole world. It is also one of the finest museums in Costa Rica.
San Jose, Costa Rica is one of the most cultural places in Costa Rica and provides an array of cultural activities to experience.
12. Liberia, Vacations in Costa Rica
Liberia reflects the authentic daily life of Costa Rica. Explore this cheap travel destination in Costa Rica to absorb the essence of this country.
- There are numerous local spots and celebrations to experience in Liberia.
- Liberia hosts the great Guanacaste Museum that showcases the true culture and life of Costa Ricans. The museum displays artwork of the locals and national artists to reflect the abolishment of the military in Costa Rica and its effect on the country.
- Also, Liberia is in close proximity to the beautiful and extremely scenic white sand beaches in Costa Rica on the Pacific Ocean like Papagayo Gulf, Playa Hermosa, Playa Conchal, and Tamarindo.
Don’t forget to treat yourself with the Jugo De Cana (sugarcane juice) and copos (snow cones).
Montezuma is a remote area in Costa Rica. It sits on the southern coast of the Nicoya Peninsula. Therefore, it is a little difficult to reach the pristine beaches in Costa Rica and lush green jungles. Also, due to this reason, the area is not very crowded. Only the adventurers like backpackers, young families, and couples take up the trek to reach Montezuma.
- This place emits Bohemian vibes and that’s what makes it unique.
- There is a giant collection of restaurants, beaches, and forests that draws the attention of most travelers in Costa Rica.
- Monkeys and a variety of birds and butterflies can be spotted in Montezuma’s thick jungles.
- At the Playa Montezuma, you can spend a day while sunbathing on the sand on vacations in Costa Rica. Also, here you can go camping in the huge palms. Also, you can swim in the waters.
- Playa Grande is another beach that is best for surfing activities.
14. The Nicoya Peninsula
The Nicoya Peninsula is the best off-beat cheap travel destination in Costa Rica. It is a perfect place to detox from the bustling life. Here you can find peace in the lap of nature. Travelers don’t visit the Nicoya Peninsula much. But those who refuse to overlook this beautiful peninsula are rewarded with awesome landscapes bathed in peace and seclusion.
- It has a mountainous landscape. A laid back lifestyle makes it an ideal place to cut off from the daily hustle of life and relax.
- Here you can peer upon the beauty of the beach and the surrounding greenery.
- The Nicoya Peninsula is an isolated paradise.
- There are several water adventures. Also, the shores of the beaches in Costa Rica beam with sunshine.